How to Apply to the Davidson Academy
Davidson Academy Reno & Davidson Academy Online
Both the Davidson Academy Reno and Davidson Academy Online 2019-2020 applications are now open! The deadline for the Reno application is Jan. 30, 2019 and the deadline for the Online application is March 31, 2019.
Step 1: Eligibility
To be eligible for the Davidson Academy, applicants must:
- Meet or exceed the minimum Qualification Criteria; and
- Perform at an academic level of advanced middle school or higher in all subjects; and
- Exhibit superior intellectual development and academic achievement; and
- Demonstrate motivation, social and emotional maturity, and overall readiness for an accelerated educational environment; and
- If applying to the Reno day school, are, or intend to be, residents of Nevada; or
- If applying to the Online campus, reside in the United States and be committed to actively participating in a full-time online educational environment with a synchronous component (live sessions). We strongly recommend that applicants have experience with online learning, especially a synchronous component (live sessions).
Step 2: Choose Where You Will Attend - the Reno Day School or Online
Applicants will need to decide if they will be attending the Davidson Academy's public, day school on the University of Nevada, Reno campus for local residents, or if they will be attending Davidson Academy Online, for those living anywhere in the United States. While the application process for the two options is similar, the assessment process is different.
For the Reno day school, it is strongly recommended that applicants be in the process of completing 6th grade, at minimum, at the time of application.
For the Online campus, applicants must be between 11 and 16 years old as of Sept. 30, 2019 and there is an application/assessment fee of $100, if living outside the state of Nevada. Tuition is also required for online students not living in Nevada.
Step 3: Review Application Checklist PDF
Download and review the Application Checklist and Procedures (PDF) to ensure your application materials are ready when you begin the Application Process.
As part of the application, you will be required to provide the following information, which is included in the Application Checklist PDFs above:
- Read the Qualification Criteria page for information on specific testing requirements for applicants who are: in 7th grade or above; in 6th grade or below; homeschooled; or reapplying. Applicants should thoroughly review these testing submission requirements.
- The following contact information is required for every applicant. These contacts will be prompted to complete a form generated by our application system that serves as a letter of recommendation:
- Mathematics teacher
- English teacher
- Generic Teacher or Personal
Step 4: Login to Application System
Access our Application System and choose either the "Academy of Nevada" or "Online High School" to complete an application. If you have already applied for the Davidson Academy or another Davidson Institute program using the Application System, you may use the same login information to apply for the Davidson Academy or for a sibling.
The Davidson Academy strongly recommends keeping a copy of your application materials for your records, as all applications and uploaded documents become the property of the Davidson Academy and will not be returned.
Also, we recommend typing and saving your responses to open-ended questions in another program before pasting the text into the Application System. If you are logged into the Application System and there is no new information submitted within a 60-minute timeframe, your session will time out and you will receive a server error. Your information may not be saved. Here are some Frequently Asked Questions about the Davidson Academy’s Application System.
Step 5: Complete Application
Applications are not considered complete until Parent Agreement Forms have been signed by each custodial parent, and the Nominator Form has been submitted. See ‘Email Correspondence’ section below for more information regarding these forms.
Davidson Academy applications are reviewed on an individual basis to determine if an applicant is qualified, if more information is needed, or if the Davidson Academy is not a good fit at that time. Upon review of the application, additional testing or information may be requested in order to determine the applicant’s eligibility.
Step 6: Verify You Are Receiving Email Correspondence
In order to minimize the chance of email sent by the application system and the Applications Team being classified as spam by your email provider, please add @davidsonacademy.unr.edu to your safe sender list and notify your Nominator and all parent/guardians to do the same. Please note the email address used by the online application system, onlineapplication @davidsonacademy.unr.edu, is an unmonitored mailbox and emails sent to that address will not be read. For further details on adding an email domain to your safe sender list, please search online or see our FAQ: "Q. Will I be receiving any email notifications after I apply through the Application System?".
Immediately upon submission of the application, each custodial parent and the listed Nominator will receive emails with links to complete their respective forms. The application will not be considered complete until all these forms have been received by the Davidson Academy.
Parent/guardian(s) listed as the Primary Contact on the Parent/Guardian page of the application will receive emails at each of the following points:
- After submitting the online application, to notify you it has been received. At this point, any custodial parents listed will also receive a link to the Parent Form.
- Once a Nominator has submitted their Recommendation Form.
- Once the entire application and forms are confirmed to be complete.
- If the application or forms are deemed incomplete, you will receive an email indicating next steps.
- Once the review period is complete and decisions have been made, all applicants will receive an email stating whether the applicant is invited to assess, not eligible, or if more information is needed.
Step 7: Next Steps
Applicants who meet the Davidson Academy's eligibility criteria and application requirements will be invited to assessment. This process is different for the Reno day school compared to the Online campus. Details are provided on these pages:
For additional Admission details, please visit these web pages:
Please direct admissions questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. We strive to respond in a timely manner, usually within 48 hours of receiving your message.