In 2006, the Davidson Academy's Reno campus opened at the University of Nevada, Reno as the first free public school of its kind for profoundly gifted students. The Academy’s classes group students by ability rather than age, offering middle and high school level curriculum for exceptionally gifted students ages 9 and up. Our unique approach to learning has attracted families from across the country and globe.
Tours and Open Houses
Davidson Academy Tours and Virtual Open Houses are opportunities for you to hear more about our school through the eyes of our students, parents, and instructors.
Personalized Gifted Learning
Our fully-accredited school for exceptionally gifted students centers on interpersonal and instructional-based learning, creating an atmosphere that is vibrant with intellectual energy and dialogue. As the school has grown, the Academy has evolved to offer an increasing number of opportunities, while still providing a laser-sharp focus on the individual student.
Gifted Middle & High School Level Courses
The primary focus of the Davidson Academy’s curriculum is for Academy graduates to leave with a solid, broad-based foundation of knowledge. We offer two types of credit: middle school and high school. Given the asynchronous nature of highly gifted young people, students frequently access both levels of curriculum simultaneously.
- Small class sizes allow students to engage with teachers and each other and build friendships.
- Prospective Learning Plans (PLPs) and no grade levels allow students to explore various interests and fields of study by taking more classes in the subjects they're most interested in, all while completing the required curriculum. Students can earn dual credit by enrolling in courses at the University of Nevada, Reno.
- A sense of belonging. The Davidson Academy celebrates the students’ intellect and encourages them to reach their full potential academically and personally.
- A strong community. The Davidson Academy gives students the opportunity to participate in many clubs and extracurricular activities throughout the year.
Eligibility for Profoundly Gifted Students
- Students should score in the 99.9th percentile on accepted intelligence and/or achievement tests
- Perform at a required academic level
- Exhibit intellectual and academic achievement
- Demonstrate motivation and social and emotional maturity
- An overall readiness for a fast-paced educational environment.
Visit the eligibility criteria, accepted tests, how to apply and application review process pages for more details. The 2022-2023 application will open this fall.
Online School for Exceptionally Gifted Students
The Davidson Academy's success led to the creation of our online campus in 2017. Open to students living anywhere in the United States and Canada, this accredited online option builds off the one-of-a-kind, exceptional framework put in place by the Davidson Academy's Reno campus during the last decade. The result is a robust online community where students thrive.
Frequently Asked Questions
How old does a student have to be to apply to the Davidson Academy's Reno campus?
The Davidson Academy is a middle and high school level school. It is recommended that applicants at minimum have 6th grade in progress at the time of application. Applicants need to meet the minimum Eligibility Criteria. Any student who is under the age of 18, meets the Eligibility Criteria, and who can perform at an academic level of advanced middle school or higher in all subjects may apply to the Davidson Academy.
How is the program different from other schools?
The Davidson Academy focuses on the individual needs of each student. Learning opportunities focus on mastery, higher order and critical thinking skills, community engagement, and personal development and responsibility.
Do you have additional questions?
Please take a look at our Application and Admissions FAQs and Academics FAQs.