Online Campus - Student Services
Supporting Student Success
Davidson Academy Online offers a variety of support services for students, including counseling, advising and college admissions services.
- A counselor meets with all students regularly, spends time getting to know students, and helps faculty to understand each student on a more personal level.
- Students meet at least once per year with their advisor who helps to keep them on track for graduation.
- A dedicated technology professional is responsible for ensuring that students have a knowledgeable human readily available if they experience any technical issues or just want to test out technology before class.
- Each high school student has access to the college counseling team who work closely with them to ensure they have a high school resume that showcases their strengths for the student’s desired university or post-high school plans.
- All staff members are available through the internal instant messaging system any time during the school day if students have questions or want to talk about their experiences in class.
Personalized Learning Plan for Online Students
The Davidson Academy's Student Services Team (SST) works closely with the students, parents and staff to assist in creating and monitoring each student's Personalized Learning Plan (PLP). The SST is available to provide support in response to educational issues or other concerns that may arise. With a wide variety of educational backgrounds and experience, the SST is able to offer many different perspectives and solutions in guiding students. In all aspects of student services, every member of the Davidson Academy team works together to help our students grow socially, emotionally and academically. Our Student Services Team offers a wide variety of support services including:
- Character Strengths assessments and development
- Regular meetings with their advisor and counselor, if desired
- Direct and personalized feedback
- Community Meetings
- Stress awareness/management
- Mindfulness and stress relief techniques
Much like the Personalized Learning Plan process, the college planning process is very individualized. We encourage our students to be in the driver's seat with regard to planning their future, and our Student Services Team is here to answer relevant questions, assess student interests, encourage them along the journey, and help them become the best versions of themselves as they advance toward their goals. Our counselors are in a position to meet with students and provide informational resources whenever high school age students wish to begin the process.
College guidance services include, but are not limited to, support in the following areas:
- Building a resume
- Building a smart and balanced college list based on the student's criteria
- Accessing financial planning resources and scholarship opportunities
- Navigating SCOIR, the college and career planning tool used by the Academy
- Completing the Common Application, as well as school-specific supplements
- Completing career planning assessments and development
- Locating internship opportunities
- Preparing for standardized college placement tests
Davidson Academy Online is different from a traditional online education, providing numerous opportunities for socialization. One such opportunity took place at the San Diego Zoo!